Saturday, October 6, 2007

What's in a name?

We just had our 3rd child the other day. I lobbied hard for the name Alita, my wife really wanted Lydia. We went back and forth, what will I get if I give you this name, yadda yadda yadda. Looking back it's kind of surreal. We both felt we had to give up what we wanted or the other person had to be convinced that my way was the true right way. About a week before the birth, we were going back and forth about this in bed. I just said what about Alidia. Instantly we both loved more than our previous choices. It's amazing how God has brought renewal and transformation to our marriage over the last year. This name evidences to us that God redefines the terms of the question and offers us a third way. We both looked at the question as what do I do to get what I want, and God rewrote it to be what would happen if you both got more than you're expecting. It's just a unique name that means her parents love her and each other and are in awe of what God has done in their lives.

No comments: